READ THE FULL INTERVIEW HERE >>
Back in the day, when I was still on the radio, it became harder and harder to sneak in a record or two per show of a hot rocking artist I just discovered. The suits at the radio station, and this is how it works on most stations, were afraid for listener tune-outs.
Don’t get me wrong now! I do love all music, mainstream or independent. I do respect the classics. Sharing music is my passion! But since there are enough outlets who are covering mainstream artists, I’ve decided to devote my time to introduce you to the awesome new music that is really out there, but you won’t hear or see on mainstream radio/TV stations, because of their ‘fear’!
So when I got asked by Jon of Cyber PR if I would be interested to do an interview with TQ, I was hesitating! Interview with TQ is cool and all, but I’m covering independent artists. And come on, TQ is hardly indie, right? Big mainstream artist with numerous hits? Remember ‘Westside‘? Turns out TQ had an interesting story to tell, interesting for both fans and independent artists!
The Dutch Guy (TDG): My first question for you is… Can I borrow 20 bucks? There’s a legendary album coming out I like to get!
TQ: PAYOLA!!! LoL!
TDG: While a lot of indie artists are working hard to get their name out, to get that major record deal, I found out you went the other way. You went independent by choice! What brought you to that decision? What was the defining moment?
TQ: I’d have to say Cash Money. Baby (TDG: Bryan Williams, co-founder of Cash Money Records) let me see a lot of sh*t. I think at the time, his other artists weren’t as interested in that side of it maybe? I don’t know for sure but I’d listen to him talk sh*t about how he made this move or that one. I’m like, ‘This fool is gettin it! He’s hustlin’!’
I used to ask him questions. So when my deal was up, I just went and did the same thing he did. LoL! My fan base is way smaller but then again, I don’t need a jet or a diamond as big as a baseball. Three 49er tickets and my kids in some fresh new shoes does me fine.
TDG: Was creative freedom one of the biggest reasons?
- Austins Music Picks
- Emerging Talent Agency
- Forever Indie
- HOT Music Topics
- Indie Music Submission
- Indie Music Videos
- Julet Frazier
- Mainstream Fix
- Michael LaBella
- MNotez Recommendations
- MTS Management
- MuzicNotez Battles
- New Album
- New Single
- Pick of the Week
- PRO Members
- PRO Press Opportunities
- Promotional Music Tips
- SKOPE Mag
- Success Stories
- The Dutch Guy
- UK INDIE
- Pretti Emage New Hip Hop & R&B Album ‘The Playlist’ June 13, 2019 MuzicNotez
- LOKELLA: Crushing Boundaries in Grand Rapids’ Alt-Music Scene June 7, 2019 MuzicNotez
- Colorado Soul Group – The Burroughs ‘Step Into The Music’ June 4, 2019 MuzicNotez
- Bill Abernathy’s New Americana Single ‘Changes’ June 4, 2019 MuzicNotez
- Alternative Chicago Band Sleeping At Last New Album ‘Atlas: Year Two’ May 29, 2019 MuzicNotez
- A True Original – Hannah Moore May 24, 2019 MuzicNotez
- Richard Lynch – ‘Keyboard Cowboy’ Country Single May 22, 2019 MuzicNotez
- Gary Burk III New Single, “Friday Night” May 20, 2019 MuzicNotez
- Pretti Emage New Hip Hop & R&B Album ‘The Playlist’
- LOKELLA: Crushing Boundaries in Grand Rapids’ Alt-Music Scene
- Colorado Soul Group – The Burroughs ‘Step Into The Music’
- Bill Abernathy’s New Americana Single ‘Changes’
- Alternative Chicago Band Sleeping At Last New Album ‘Atlas: Year Two’
- A True Original – Hannah Moore