- MuzicNotez: First off, it’s an honor to be doing this interview with you, thanks for taking the time to sit down with us.
- MuzicNotez: What motivated you to start creating music? What age did you begin?
Kristen Karma: I’ve always been interested in music from a small age however it wasn’t until I started learning the piano that things really peaked my interest.
- MuzicNotez: Who were your musical influences, idols, or bands growing up that have helped mold you into the musician you are today? Or helped mold the music that you create?
Kristen Karma: Growing up I listened to a bit of everything but I really started listening to Avril Lavigne, Cyndi Lauper, Madonna, and then Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and Veronicas who have shaped the music I make today.
- MuzicNotez: What’s the ultimate goal you want your music to achieve, or for you to achieve in your career as a musician? Any particular message you wish to send?
Kristen Karma: My goal is to make an impact, and have my music touch as many people as it can. My music is extremely personal and to know that the words I’ve written down and the melodies I have created can change the views, opinions and thoughts of individuals for the better makes me feel absolutely amazing to be able to inspire people.
- MuzicNotez: What’s the greatest concert you’ve ever been to or performed?
Kristen Karma: Each concert has it’s own magical experience, but if I had to pick just one it would be Avril Lavigne in 2003. Watching her perform just drew me in, and I knew that I wanted to do anything to be on stage performing.
- MuzicNotez: How has your formal audio engineering and vocal training helped you as a musician?
Kristen Karma: It’s given me a different and deeper outlook into the process of recording and am able to articulate exactly what I want and what I envision for the songs. It makes the process smoother and more precise.
- MuzicNotez: You have performed some pretty awesome shows opening for the likes of Lady Gaga’s after party, Akon and working with Lil Jon, what have those experiences been like?
Kristen Karma: Each experience has been unique and fun! Opening for Akon, and playing Lady Gaga’s After-Parties were a blast to perform in front of so many energetic fans! It was a great way to expose new fans to my music and to understand the inner workings of working with A-List Musicians!
- MuzicNotez: Your latest release is the track ‘Dear John’, what inspired this release?
Kristen Karma: I sat down with my friend and upcoming artist Marian Hanna for a writing session one day and we both decided that we wanted to write a song for our loved ones that passed away. We started brainstorming and in about 15 minutes we had a demo recorded on my phone. Just before we headed into the studio we discovered that both her brother’s name and my father’s name were the same, and decided then that the best name for the single would be Dear John.
- MuzicNotez: What else are you working on? What can we expect to see and hear from you in the future?
Kristen Karma: Currently I am promoting my single Dear John at the moment but have been in the studio working on new music and hope to have an album out this year!