- MuzicNotez: First off, it’s an honor to be doing this interview with you, thanks for taking the time to sit down with us.
What motivated you to start creating music? What age did you begin?
- Georgia Black: I’d say I was around 12 years old when I started creating music, although my songwriting was horrendous at that age! Haha! I was just really into music and knew I loved singing, so started messing around with my own lyrics and melodies in acapella.
MuzicNotez: Who were your musical influences, idols, or bands growing up that have helped mold you into the musician you are today? Or helped mold the music that you create?
- Georgia Black: I had so many influences, but off the top of my head: Shirley Bassey, Etta James, Nina Simone, Peggy Lee, Billie Holiday, Ray Charles, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Led Zeppelin, The Specials, Lauryn Hill, Fugees, Missy Elliot, Portishead, Gorillaz and Amy Winehouse. To name a few…
- MuzicNotez: What’s the ultimate goal you want your music to achieve, or for you to achieve in your career as a musician? Any particular message you wish to send?
- Georgia Black: The ultimate goal would be to touch people with my music and make a difference in their lives. I want people to know that they’re not alone, so I hope my music can reach them and help them through a difficult time.
- MuzicNotez: You’ve toured around the UK and Europe in front of huge crowds, however times have changed now. Born and raised in London, a vibrant city for music, what’s it like for an artist like yourself during this pandemic?
- Georgia Black: It’s pretty weird! I had a residency but obviously that’s not happening anymore – then after lockdown 1, I did a few gigs at Mona’s Bar in Tottenham, but with restrictions in place. It’s such a shame because they’re a new business and are having to turn people away because everyone has to be seated. Had a few people peering through the windows though. Haha! Obviously can’t play there either now, as we’re in lockdown 2!
- MuzicNotez: You just released the new single ‘Repeat & Play’, what motivated this track? What was the recording process like?
- Georgia Black: I actually wrote Repeat & Play a couple of years ago, at a stage in my life when I felt stuck – in the same never ending cycle, not achieving my goals, in relationships, seeing the same awful things happening in the world, and with general life satisfaction. I wrote it with my friend Dornik (an amazing artist), but kind of forgot about it, then during lockdown 1, it came to the forefront of my mind because every day felt the same, like a record on repeat! My producer Joshua Woolf then beefed up the production and the rest was history.
- MuzicNotez: You previously released the single ‘Invisible Enemy’, your vocal range really shines on this track, so much soul in it. Did you have professional vocal training?
- Georgia Black: Aw thank you 🙂 In terms of vocal training, not really. I mean, I had singing lessons at uni, but I went to uni as an adult and before that I developed my practice in the comfort of my home and continue to do so. I would love to have professional training one day though. I really feel that continuously working and learning about your craft is key to any kind of success.
- MuzicNotez: Do you write your own music? If so, what’s your writing process like?
- Georgia Black: I tend to write through a stream of consciousness. Usually when I sit down to write, I don’t know what the song is going to be about – I figure that part out after random words and melodies come out. I then start piecing them together and eventually realise what on earth is in my head! Having said that, there are occasions when something is on my mind, that I feel compelled to sit down and write about it.
- MuzicNotez: What else are you working on? What can we expect to see and hear from you in the future?
- Georgia Black: I’m working on a few releases for early-mid 2021, possibly with an International Women’s Day special! 😉
- MuzicNotez: Anything else you wish to say about yourself or your music? Any message for your fans?
- Georgia Black: Only that I am a huge lover of cats, so please forgive the never ending cat videos on my Insta story! Haha!