- MuzicNotez: First off, it’s an honor to be doing this interview with you Jesse, thanks for taking the time to sit down with us.
What motivated you to start creating music? What age did you begin?
- Jesse Neo: Music has always been part of my life. My parents enrolled me into piano and violin lessons when I was very young, and I was part of the school band. I began writing my own music when I was around 10 but didn’t got serious with it until I was in high school. During that time, I was also really into rave and EDM culture, so I decided to take some courses on creating my own electronic music. That’s when I began experimenting with different sounds and setting up my own recording studio.
MuzicNotez: Who were your musical influences, idols, or bands growing up that have helped mold you into the musician you are today? Or helped mold the music that you create?
- Jesse Neo: I’m very inspired by all the top DJs right now, including Armin van Buuren, Martin Garrix, Calvin Harris and Steve Aoki. I think they are so talented that not only did they created their own style of music, they even bought a new culture of dance music to life. Now every singer wants to work with them.
- MuzicNotez: What’s the ultimate goal you want your music to achieve, or for you to achieve in your career as a musician? Any particular message you wish to send?
- Jesse Neo: I really want to be a musician that people all over the world can look up to, in terms of my sound, lyrics and visual arts. Every time I write a new song, I tend to have the music video already playing in my mind, including the sets and costumes. The message that I want to send to the world is to be more innovative and experiment with new things.
- MuzicNotez: What’s the greatest concert you’ve ever been to or performed?
- Jesse Neo: The best and most memorable concert I’ve been to was Lady Gaga’s Born This Way Ball. I just love how she has influenced both music and fashion in a way where every venue she plays at instantly becomes a crazy musical runway. I hope I would be able to achieve something like that too.
- MuzicNotez: You launched a new business venture Gemtracks, what inspired it’s release? Tell us more about it.
- Jesse Neo: A few years ago, I was contacted by a few media companies asking me to write songs for them. They told me they wanted instrumental beats that would go along with the lyrics they have already written. Since music production has been something I’ve been doing for quite some time, I thought why not. When my job was over, suddenly a lot of my friends requested to make beats for them as well that I decided to start an online store to sell my beats. Now that same website has become a marketplace known as Gemtracks.
- MuzicNotez: You’re a singer, songwriter, DJ and producer, it’s safe to say you’re heavily involved in the music making process. What’s your favorite aspect of music creation?
- Jesse Neo: I just love how there are so many ways to create music and that the same key or chords could change into some completely new based on different structures and arrangements. Just by knowing that sounds can be combined into infinite amount of results is something that takes my breath away.
- MuzicNotez: You can’t be labeled in any genre of music as you’ve crossed all genres. Is there a genre you haven’t worked in yet but would like to in the future?
- Jesse Neo: Though I have touched most genres, it’s the application of those genres that I want to touch more on, such as writing for games and movies. Game and movie music need to have psychological considerations that would make the listener feel a certain vibe when put together with the visuals. I think being able to do this successfully requires a lot of training and experience, and would be something I would like to set myself on trying to do too.
- MuzicNotez: What else are you working on? What can we expect to see and hear from you in the future?
- Jesse Neo: I will be filming my first music video soon. I want it to be something that has never been done before so I have been in discussions with several directors and cinematographers about what can be done.
- MuzicNotez: Anything else you wish to say about yourself or your music? Any message for your fans?
- Jesse Neo: Besides being an artist myself, it is almost my goal to help others new to the industry to become established artists too. If you are looking to write songs of your own, make sure you check out my website to buy beats.