MuzicNotez: First off, it’s an honor to be doing this interview with you, thanks for taking the time to sit down with us.
What motivated you to start creating music? What age did you begin?
- Tragically Magic: After losing the ability to continue boxing, I felt lost and borderline hopeless. I didn’t know where to go or really what to do with my life. After a few years, I realized there was no way that I could be the only one in that state of mind, and what kept me going through everything was music. I started writing at age 19, 3 years after the injury that turned me away from boxing.
MuzicNotez: Who were your musical influences, idols, or bands growing up that have helped mold you into the musician you are today? Or helped mold the music that you create?
- Tragically Magic: Growing up, J. Cole was a major stand out artist for me. He’s known for writing songs with meaning, a purpose, and a story behind them and that really hit home for me. Shortly before I began recording my first tracks, I came across Dax and Hopsin who both were talented lyrically and spoke from the heart with a purpose as well. They’re styles I felt more comfort within and learned to really hone my lyrical ability off the passion and blueprints they made.
MuzicNotez: What’s the ultimate goal you want your music to achieve, or for you to achieve in your career as a musician? Any particular message you wish to send?
- Tragically Magic: The reason I started making music, and the reason I keep pushing through even the hardest of times, is perseverance. I write to reach out and remind people that the fight never ends until you decide to quit, the dream is always possible until you decide to quit. I only wish for my music career that I can live comfortably off of it. As for the message my music gives, I want it to outlive me for decades after.
MuzicNotez: Your latest release is entitled ‘Time’, what does this new track mean to you?
- Tragically Magic: ‘Time’ is in my opinion, my strongest piece. It really contrasts the different perspectives on something so common that everyone shares in it. ‘Time’ describes the pain and days of near insanity I’ve had leading up to today, but also the impact and lessons learned along the way.
MuzicNotez: You have a very interesting story that lead to your artist name, please tell us about the meaning behind your name Tragically Magic.
- Tragically Magic: Growing up, kids used to call me ‘Black Magic’ for having a habit of cheating death and being a sort of magnet to misfortune. Over the years, the ‘Black’ fell off and most of my friends called me ‘Magic’. I grew used to the name and quite fond of it, so looking at starting off in the music industry, I knew ‘Magic’ would stay a part of how I was known. Though I felt it needed something more, something that really described the story I was setting out to tell. For a few months I was stumped til one day, I was sharing a story from my past as a kid and someone described it as ‘tragic’. I knew then that was it, my story described as ‘Tragically’, I would be known as ‘Tragically Magic’. The more I thought about it, the more it fit me. ‘Tragically’ being the life lived before, ‘Magic’ being how life would feel going forward. My name being a balance of dark times and better days just in how it’s written.
MuzicNotez: You’re not just an artist looking to get famous off your music, you’re looking to help others with your music as much as it’s helped you in life. How do you feel you can be most effective in this mission?
- Tragically Magic: I know the more ears my work reaches, the more people I can help. I’m always open to talking to fans or even people who are curious how I got to where I am through social media and hopefully with COVID restrictions decreasing, I’ll be able to give speeches on determination and perseverance.
MuzicNotez: What else are you working on? What can we expect to see and hear from you in the future?
- Tragically Magic: Most details are still under wraps, but I will say ‘From the Ashes’ and ‘Time’ are part of a full album I’m currently working on.
MuzicNotez: Anything else you wish to say about yourself or your music? Any message for your fans?
- Tragically Magic: Forever my message to anyone who listens, never give up, never quit. If you truly want something, its possible for as long as you’re willing to fight for it.