- MuzicNotez: First off, it’s an honor to be doing this interview with you, thanks for taking the time to sit down with us.
What motivated you to start creating music? What age did you begin?
- James Lee Baker: I have been in music since I was a young boy. Music was a part of my family’s life and something that I did on a regular basis. I started creating music when I was in high school. I fell in love with the acoustic guitar and the writing process as I unearthed rich folk music.
MuzicNotez: Who were your musical influences, idols, or bands growing up that have helped mold you into the musician you are today? Or helped mold the music that you create?
- James Lee Baker: Who were your musical influences, idols, or bands growing up that have helped mold you into the musician you are today? Or helped mold the music that you create? Some of the artists that I looked up to and learned from include Ellis Paul, John Gorka, David Gray, David Mead, and Bob Dylan.
- MuzicNotez: What’s the ultimate goal you want your music to achieve, or for you to achieve in your career as a musician? Any particular message you wish to send?
- James Lee Baker: Ultimately, I would like to have a sustainable career as a performer. This means being able to make enough money to sustain my family and my travels. The message I try to send as an artist is a message of optimism, reflection, and beauty.
- MuzicNotez: What’s the greatest concert you’ve ever been to or performed?
- James Lee Baker: The greatest concert I’ve been to was Bela Fleck and the Flecktones performing with the Colorado Symphony at Red Rocks. It was wonderful!
- MuzicNotez: You’re classically trained, and have a unique style of playing guitar. Tell us more about it and how it makes your sound stand out.
- James Lee Baker: I use a combination of alternate tunings and partial Capo’s to create a unique sonic fingerprint. Combining this with fingerstyle guitar, it creates an interesting and refreshing sound.
- MuzicNotez: Your latest release was the EP ‘The Canadian River’, what inspired this EP?
- James Lee Baker: The title track is my confession of faith in the universe and God. It is my viewpoint of how I make peace with it all.
- MuzicNotez: Your parents were musicians too and helped get you into music, what would you like to say to them now that you’ve made it this far?
- James Lee Baker: Thank you for everything that you’ve done! You believed in me and still do. I wouldn’t be where I am today without you!
- MuzicNotez: What else are you working on? What can we expect to see and hear from you in the future?
- James Lee Baker: In the spring of next year, I will be releasing a full-length album recorded at Blue Rock Studios in Wimberly, Texas under Chris Bell.