David Migden & The Dirty Words are ‘Killing It’ with their new album
When a band are outstanding on the stage, their studio material can sometimes lack the energy of the performance and get lost in translation. Especially when “their set encompassed a truly startling range, taking in americana, country, funk, jazz, blues, soul, mariachi, samba and rock stylings”. Tying down all these genres into a coherent collection of 11 songs is never going to be easy. Fortunately, we needn’t have worried.
Naturally, the billowing live sound is here replaced with tight studio production, highlighting every stab, offbeat and syncopation over the course of the 45 minute running time. The album opens with a number of tracks which call to mind ‘Blood Sugar Sex Magik’ era Red Hot Chili Peppers – rhythm guitar, funk bass, jazz chords and gruff vocal all coming together on ‘Killing It’ and ‘Blues’ to set the tone for the rest of the album. The attention to detail is impressive, not a single piece of the puzzle out of place.
Further highlights include ‘Shel’ (available to download free on the bands Facebook page) which moves the album in a more acoustic direction and includes lovely flowing keys and drum parts, while ‘Rev Jack Crow’ leans heavily on grimy jazz chords and a half-time tempo that drags out every inch of atmosphere from an excellent track. Towards the end of the album, the mood shifts in a more country/gospel direction for ‘Desert Inside’, while album closer ‘The Line’ is a beautifully mellow ending to everything that has gone before.
Conclusion? Whether live or in the studio, David Migden & The Dirty Words are a band that ooze class.
Review by Nigel Roberts of Labeled Independent
- Austins Music Picks
- Emerging Talent Agency
- Forever Indie
- HOT Music Topics
- Indie Music Submission
- Indie Music Videos
- Julet Frazier
- Mainstream Fix
- Michael LaBella
- MNotez Recommendations
- MTS Management
- MuzicNotez Battles
- New Album
- New Single
- Pick of the Week
- PRO Members
- Promotional Music Tips
- SKOPE Mag
- Success Stories
- The Dutch Guy
- UK INDIE
- Sneak Peak at Michael Egleton’s new track ‘Situations’ off the upcoming album ‘In The Q’ October 23, 2017 MuzicNotez
- The Rough win the MuzicNotez Rock Battle! October 20, 2017 MuzicNotez
- The Sidney Green Street Band New Rock Album ‘Half Live’ October 18, 2017 MuzicNotez
- Stevi Daft New Indie Rock Video ‘Oh Chief’ & Single ‘White Nite’ October 16, 2017 MuzicNotez
- Soultru new single ‘Forgive Me’ October 13, 2017 MuzicNotez
- Sarantos new single ‘Gypsy Jazz’ October 12, 2017 MuzicNotez
- ROADCASE ROYALE: ‘COVER EACH OTHER’ from the album ‘FIRST THINGS FIRST’ October 11, 2017 MuzicNotez
- PeterTheLast new single ‘Hungry Moon’ October 9, 2017 MuzicNotez
- Sneak Peak at Michael Egleton’s new track ‘Situations’ off the upcoming album ‘In The Q’
- The Rough win the MuzicNotez Rock Battle!
- The Sidney Green Street Band New Rock Album ‘Half Live’
- Stevi Daft New Indie Rock Video ‘Oh Chief’ & Single ‘White Nite’
- Soultru new single ‘Forgive Me’
- Sarantos new single ‘Gypsy Jazz’