- MuzicNotez: First off, it’s an honor to be doing this interview with you, thanks for taking the time to sit down with us.
What motivated you to start creating music? What age did you begin?
- Vanessa Lavoie: I started singing as a child and was on stage shortly after my 12th birthday. My motivation comes from the love of music. Having a lot on my mind, I was looking for a way to liberate myself. Writing music seemed like the perfect way for me to communicate with others.
- MuzicNotez: Who were your musical influences, idols, or bands growing up that have helped mold you into the musician you are today? Or helped mold the music that you create?
- Vanessa Lavoie: “Always believe in your dreams” is a sentence I keep saying, writing and communicating. My ultimate goal is to reach as many young signers as possible with my music. If they can identify themselves with my songs, then I will have succeeded.
- MuzicNotez: What’s the greatest concert you’ve ever been to or performed?
- Vanessa Lavoie: My greatest and biggest concert to date was to open for Simple Plan. I had the honor to sing in front of more than 100 000 screaming fans. This had to be the most nerve wreaking event I went through. I loved the feeling and am looking forward to repeating it.
- MuzicNotez: You won over 25 awards and counting so far in your young career, how does it feel to be acknowledged with all of these accolades?
- Vanessa Lavoie: I’m very happy to have been acknowledge and for the awards. I must admit that I truly sing for the passion of the music and not the awards. It is for this reason that I’m always surprised when I get nominated for or win an award.
- MuzicNotez: Your track ‘Down By The Bonfire’ reached as high as #1 on the Independent Music Networks Country Chart. This is one of your fan favorite tracks for good reason, do you have a personal favorite track?
- Vanessa Lavoie: Indeed, I do. I can honestly say that my songs bring me much happiness and comfort. But if I had to choose, “Daddy’s Love” is the one that really brings out my emotions.
- MuzicNotez: You have been continually touring all around Canada, now you’re starting to break in to the US scene. How would you describe a Vanessa Lavoie live show?
- Vanessa Lavoie: In a few words, energy, dynamic, innovation and fun. The purpose of doing a show, in my opinion, is to share a musical experience with the crowd. I give 100% of myself, I bare my soul every time. I am convinced that the people that come and see me are leaving with a memory that will stay with them forever. At least, that is my wish.
- MuzicNotez: Your track ‘Daddy’s Love’ is an easily relatable song. Has the song been therapeutic for you? Anything you would like to say about this track that you didn’t already sing?
- Vanessa Lavoie: I wrote this song as a therapy for what I went through as a child. Please understand that singing was the easiest way for me to express these feelings. Talking about it, on the other hand, is still hard for me.
- MuzicNotez: Your latest hit is ‘Butterfly Feeling’ which is at #2 currently and soon to be on top. What inspired this song?
- Vanessa Lavoie: This song was written by Jim Richardson for his wife. As soon as I heard it, I told Jim, you must let me sing this song. I can give it the emotion it deserves.
- MuzicNotez: What else are you working on? What can we expect to see and hear from you in the future?
- Vanessa Lavoie: We are presently working on a new show. We are putting together the right music with the right light show that will enhance the experience and support the emotions I deliver through my songs. I really want this to be the best I have to offer.
- MuzicNotez: Anything else you wish to say about yourself or your music? Any message for your fans?
- Vanessa Lavoie: Country music has always been a big part of my life. Singing brings out the best in me, which is how I want people to remember me. We only have one life and we must use our skills to reach our full potential. My skill is singing, my life is music.