- MuzicNotez: First off, it’s an honor to be doing this interview with you, thanks for taking the time to sit down with us.
What motivated you to start creating music? What age did you begin?
- Bill Abernathy: I was surrounded by music starting at a very young age. It was natural for me to start playing. Working out original music, and writing songs started when I was in High School. Of course I started writing songs for girls I suppose like most, but soon started translating stories about life events into songs.
MuzicNotez: Who were your musical influences, idols, or bands growing up that have helped mold you into the musician you are today? Or helped mold the music that you create?
- Bill Abernathy: I really enjoy the Singer Songwriter based music. Artist like Jim Croce, Dan Fogelberg, James Taylor, Loggins and Messina were big influences on me in my youth. I still prefer that genre mostly but listen to a lot of different styles. For example, I am a big Foo Fighters fan. I think their lyrics are really interesting.
- MuzicNotez: What’s the ultimate goal you want your music to achieve, or for you to achieve in your career as a musician? Any particular message you wish to send?
- Bill Abernathy: When a fan tells me about how a song I wrote had an influence on them, helped them in some way, or just caused them to think about a situation, that is what I call success. Hopefully many fans related to the tunes in that way.
- MuzicNotez: What’s the greatest concert you’ve ever been to or performed?
- Bill Abernathy: That is a tough question. I think sometimes you are really in the moment and that is when magic happens. I saw Dan Fogelberg play a solo concert and it was really magic. The music was great, the songs were great, and his performance was outstanding. I think what really impressed me is how easily he interacted with the audience. That was a very special evening for sure
- MuzicNotez: Your story is a testament to second chances, with taking a break to build your family, but then coming back to music and making a real impact. What were the challenges getting back into music that way?
- Bill Abernathy: haha Remembering how to play and not just practice. I am a bit of a practice freak and enjoy working out interesting arrangements to my tunes. Playing all that live is a completely different beast. Getting your brain and hands to all work together effortlessly is really fun when it happens
- MuzicNotez: You’re known as a great songwriter, what’s your writing style like?
- Bill Abernathy: Well honestly, I write in bunches. I am an inspiration guy, so when I get a good idea, or something motivates me to set down and write, I generally write several tunes while I am in that space. Then I wait for the next spell of inspiration. My process is not nearly as structured as others, but it works for me. I really need to have something that has touched me to write about.
- MuzicNotez: The latest album you released is entitled ‘Crossing Willow Creek’, what was the motivation behind this release?
- Bill Abernathy: I have always been an acoustic guy. The tunes from Crossing Willow Creek were originally recorded purely acoustic. I did that on purpose to really get the acoustic feel of the songs and emphasize the lyrical content. When we decided to record Crossing Willow Creek, I wanted to take those acoustic tunes and produce them up more. The tune Willow Creek is about when I learned to play which was really acoustic based. The theme of Crossing Willow Creek is to move from the purely acoustic feel into a more produced sound. Hence the title Crossing Willow Creek
- MuzicNotez: What else are you working on? What can we expect to see and hear from you in the future?
- Bill Abernathy: We are currently working on a really interesting project. I get asked all the time 3 questions. What is it like in the studio, do you have live videos, and would you play my favorite song? That said we are now in the studio, recording and videoing some cover songs that our fans requested. We think that the video’s will show folks what the studio is like, show up playing live, and give our fans a few of their favorite tunes. We are having fun with it, and expect to post a few of these videos this summer
- MuzicNotez: Anything else you wish to say about yourself or your music? Any message for your fans?
- Bill Abernathy: I am excited about Crossing Willow Creek and the fantastic response we have received. A big thank you to everyone who buys and streams our tunes. It means more than you know. As always, I encourage our fans to contact me on my web site. Let me know how you like the tunes and ask any questions you may have. You may even request a tune or two for us to play around with. I am looking forward to hearing from each of you.